4.6.09

History Happenings Here in Hong Kong

Today marks an incredibly important day in China's history. Depending on who you ask, the response will change, but it will most likely contain the words communism and democracy.


20 years ago today in Bejing, China history stood still at the same time it was rushing past. Sacrifice was made on the part of the innocent and uneducated and those who were there, will never forget. Democracy was fought for and in a sense lost.


Please take time to read about this incredibly important event in history. The best article I found is below, written by a man who was there.


Kristof's Opinion

















While I join 500,000 tonight to remember the ones lost, I will consider my own fear in this world and those who stand up for things I already enjoy. May they give us all courage to keep going and pursue justice and true freedom.



5 comments:

  1. great post jen, and that article is moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best explanation to me:

    "Another answer is that many of those rickshaw drivers and bus drivers and others in 1989 were demanding not precisely a parliamentary democracy, but a better life..."

    I think 'ordinary people' are only incited to act, in most cases, to have a comfortable life -- or at least one free of daily crisis. I think if one looks at most politics and history through this lens, things make the most sense.

    I think that the notion of 'the people' fighting for a noble yet abstract ideal is usually projected onto a situation, post-partum, by someone else.

    rs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great News on the homefront Jen! You would be so proud... we had another blood drive today and guess who gave blood....Brandi! We are very proud of her and agreed that you should know. Email us later, enjoy your trip. We miss you around here Whoopi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen,

    Glad to see you were able to post this. DemocracyNow reported yesterday that the Chinese govt shut down Twitter and Hotmail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes they did. Since Hong Kong is governed differently this is the only place it is even allowed to be discussed. I am going into mainland today and am fairly nervous about this blog. if you dont hear from me in 10 days, call the authorities.

    ReplyDelete

Search My Blog