17.6.09

infection

I had my first day of work yesterday! I made it through a two hour meeting then my supervisor made me go to the doctor. I've had some lovely stomach issues the past couple days and I guess they figured it out when I used the bathroom every 10 minutes during the meeting. New people would come into the meeting and say, "Hi, I'm _____, I hear you're sick". It was fabulous.

But then my body started to really ache and I was unable to turn my neck. I left willingly as I had resigned to believing that I had the swine flu. No joke. I had all the symptoms and I'm from America so most people think I have it anyway. I took an hour bus ride home, which may have been the loneliest bus ride to date. I thought of all the different ways I was going to have to contact people in Houston and let them know I was quarantined in a hospital in HK.

I get to the doctor who informed me with her wise stethoscope that I had a gastrointestinal infection with no fever. YAY! I kept being like, "but my gums hurt really bad and I can't turn my neck." And she was all like, "yeah you have a stomach infection." And I'm all, "oh, right, because that makes sense."

She said I probably got it from something I ate. Weird, me getting sick in a foreign country from something I ate? Never happened before, well except for the last time I went out of the country and almost died. But, I am better now.



could it possibly have been something like this?




or




Because we ate like this every meal. I'm not sure my body is use to consuming that much food, which is what I told the doctor was my problem and she said that I was wrong. Now that I am back in HK, my body is lucky if it gets a banana for dinner. That may change because I actually feel like eating again.

I slept about 10 hours last night and feel like a new person. By the way, HK has a rockin health system and I paid about $15 US to see the doctor for 30 minutes and get 3 different medications!

3 comments:

  1. hope you feel better. stinks. keep it up... can't wait to hear more stories from over there. thought quite a bit about you yesterday as I watched Anthony Bourdain's "no reservations" when he goes to Hong Kong. He loves Hong Kong and the food and the people. He kept talking about the food courts that serve amazing home-cooked authentic food. And oh yeah, he loves the little roasted pigs. and geese. sorry hope you don't know what I am talking about. but regardless, thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send more pics.
    Love you.

    BC

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh there are plently of geese and pigs. most of them still have their eyes. i think they are still a little bit alive. i cherish the moments i see them...which is everyday. thanks for thinking of me.

    ReplyDelete

Search My Blog