2.7.09

did it make a difference?




Maybe that's not the question I should ask.

Maybe I should ask if I got something from it?

And the answer is yes.




a friend. and a really sweaty back.



Ava went with me and 100,000 other people yesterday to protest.

Ava and I joined other social workers to plead for the rights of the disabled.

Disabled persons have harder times getting jobs, getting around, and getting benefits.

We marched for 4 hours through the streets of Hong Kong chanting, screaming, complaining, laughing and sometimes dancing.

Were we heard?

Maybe. Maybe not. But we stood together fighting for those who might not be able to fight for themselves.




Some critics may say that this protest did nothing at all and the approach was all wrong. And I may agree to a certain extent, but I learned some things as I united with other Hong Kong people to show the government that people are suffering and change needs to take place. People matter. Every last one of them.



There were a lot of causes displayed. It is a time for people to say what they want to the government of HK. You name it (within reason), people were fighting for it.












and the news people were all over it.



been to any good protests lately?

4 comments:

  1. Hey! I haven't had a chance to read all that much of your blog yet..but I am going to keep checking in..I read back a few pages worth of entries and it looks like you are having an amazing time there. You are really integrated into the culture and I'm sure you'll come back with so many stories- such as this protest. :) Anyways, I will continue praying for you while you are there!! :) ~Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. nope, never been a-protestin'. always been scared i would be shot down in the middle of the street...or that people would look at me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you would definitely be looked at here. gawked at, more like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend Sue got arrested for that. And that's why she is a bad a and I am not. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Search My Blog